CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Cloee has often lead me to believe she feels little or no pain. I thought she was just super tough due to all she endured in the NICU. Well last night I was laying in my bed and she was playing with things in my nightstand drawer. I guess she saw the little tiny bulb in my small lamp (which puts out a lot of heat) on the nightstand and decided it looked like something she wanted to touch. As her arm went up towards it I turned to try to keep her from touching it but wasn't quick enough. Well I thought I was quick enough. I didn't see her fingers touch the bulb. She just whispered "Hot, Mommy." And I said, "Yes it is hot. Don't touch it. It will hurt you." Then she grabbed her fingers and blew on them and again whispered "hot". I looked at her fingers thinking maybe she did touch the lamp and all four fingers were red. I knew for a fact that there was no way all four fingers touched the bulb. One or two at the most. So I figured that she had just been holding so tightly to her fingers that it made them red. Well... this morning I saw two long red blisters going down her middle and ring fingers. Oh My Gosh! I felt so bad!!! Those fingers had to have been hurting ALL NIGHT LONG! At least on a normal person they would have hurt. Burns keep on burning for hours. She didn't even cry. She didn't even notice the fingers 2 minutes after it happened. So that's when I thought for sure she didn't touch the lamp. After the whole little incident she layed down next to me in bed and we 'talked' (I didn't understand much of what she said, but it was bonding nonetheless) and we never brought her fingers up again. We even layed there and held hands a few times, and I held each hand because she kept trading hands. I don't get it- didn't it hurt???! It had to have hurt! It just really made me realize that perhaps she doesn't really feel pain the same way the rest of us do. I'm wondering if maybe I should get that checked out or just hope she has a VERY high pain tolerance.

0 comments: