With a rough start and many hardships... Cloee made it to 12 months old!!!
Yesterday she had her checkup with Dr. Campbell. Here's the scoop:
Cloee is 16 pounds 12 oz (-5th%) and 28 and 1/2 in long (25%). She wants Cloee to stay on the Neosure (preemie formula) until at least 15 months and then she will take a look at her weight and see if she can go to whole milk. Cloee has had so many problems with her breathing. As she has grown she should have also grown more lungs, therefore making it easier for her to breathe, but her breathing has just gotten worse.
When she was in the NICU the doctors talked about doing a barium swallow to rule out a vascular ring but for some reason they never did it. I'm wondering if since they found the bronchopulmonary dysplasia and laryngomalacia with the bronchoscopies they decided those were good enough findings and they would just 'blame' her problems on those issues. I'm now wishing they would have gone ahead and done this test but I know they didn't want to rattle her with just ONE more test so maybe that's why they chose not to do it. Anyways, now Dr. Campbell thinks it is very necessary to have her go in for this test to rule out the possibility of a vascular ring. I'm in the process of getting that scheduled at Phoenix Children's Hospital and am hoping it won't be delayed until February like they told me on the phone earlier. ERRR!
There two large veins that grow parallel with the trachea- sunning along the sides of it but in some cases one of these veins decides it will form a ring around the trachea and when it does this it is called a vascular ring. This could be some of the reason for Cloee's breathing problems. So, I'm am wishing that she has this(because this will be an easy answer to her probs but also not wishing that she has this because it can be nasty to repair). It is repairable but won't be fun. So check back for a later post for results from that.
The next thing is about Cloee's breasts. I know when babies are first born, and especially if they breastfeed, then they sometimes grow breast tissue. Cloee never had this and around 11 and a half months old, and weaning from nursing and therefore getting even less hormones from me than before, she started getting these little breast buds. I am to watch this for the next month or so and if they continue like this, and especially if they get pointy, then she will send us to an endocrinologist.
After the results come back for the barium swallow Cloee is going to have a chest xray to see what shape her lungs are currently in. It's been too long since they have done a chest xray. Much different than when she was in the NICU and got one every morning at 6:30!
So I think in a previous post I mentioned the sensitive skin Cloee has. The Asian pulmonologist, who I really liked, said something about this being associated with allergies. I had no clue what that meant. I asked Dr. Campbell first thing when she got into the room and she told me that it means that first- she doesn't have sensitive skin. What it does mean is that those blotches/red marks are classic signs of a child with allergic tendencies. This could be our answer to her current lung issues but apparently the tests for allergies that can be done are not very accurate in children this young. Dr. Campbell said she definitely sees an allergy doctor in Cloee's future. For now though we will take it one thing at a time. She said to be watchful over what Cloee is fed- mostly any table foods and see if I notice if any particular thing triggers her breathing problems- this could even be pets or grass, etc etc etc.
There are no signs of any new teeth coming in. She still just has the 2 on the bottom.
She had two shots- one for chicken pox and one is the flu booster that follows the flu shot she got a few months ago.
Wednesday, December 17, 2008
1 year checkup
at 2:59 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment